Attract new talent, offer progression and develop a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce by hiring an Apprentice.
The aim of an apprenticeship is to provide a job role for anyone over the age of 16 who wants to be trained and developed in a specific job role in a business (whether that be a small/medium enterprise or a large enterprise) to gain relevant experience and work towards the completion of the apprenticeship and the desired qualification.
The levels of an apprentice can range from Level 2 (equivalent to GCSE) to Level 4-7 (equivalent to foundation degree and above). An Apprenticeship can normally last for up to 5 years depending on the level of the course.
To help a business through the journey of the apprenticeship, a training provider, will work with the business and apprentice to ensure they both the needs of the employer and apprentice are met.
For more information on the requirements and support for hiring an apprentice, please click here. (gov.uk publication)
For a step-by-step guide to the apprenticeship service, click here.
Event: Apprenticeship Reforms - What they will mean to you
Cornwall and Isles of Scilly LEP held an Apprenticeship event on 3 March at Royal Cornwall Showground, Wadebridge, to outline what the forthcoming Apprenticeship reforms will mean to Employers.
If you missed our event, you can view Richard Daulton, National Account Manager (South and South West England) Skills Funding Agency, presentation on the Apprenticeship Levy Reforms here.
You an also take a look at our Employer Reform Fact sheet here.
Apprenticeship Levy Guide
In spring 2017 the way the government funds apprenticeships in England is changing. Some employers will be required to contribute to a new apprenticeship levy and there will be changes to the funding for apprenticeship training for all employers.
The apprenticeship levy will be introduced on 6 April 2017. The levy requires all employers operating in the UK, with a pay bill over £3 million each year, to invest in apprenticeships.
TO FIND OUT MORE CONTACT THE LEP:
- Apprenticeship funding from May 2017: How apprenticeship funding for employers will work, including details of funding bands and the apprenticeship levy.
- Apprenticeship technical funding guide for starts from May 2017: Sets out the technical details of the funding system used to fund apprenticeship frameworks and standards starting on or after 1 May 2017.
- Apprenticeship funding and performance management rules 2017 to 2018: The draft rules that will apply to all apprenticeship provision funded by the SFA following the introduction of the apprenticeship levy.
- Apprenticeship funding: Details of how employers will be affected by the apprenticeship funding system introduced from May 2017.
- A revised apprenticeship funding calculator: to help employers understand what levy they will pay and how they could use the new digital service to plan and fund training.
- SFA Digital blog: to help people keep up to date with the development of the Digital Apprenticeship Service (DAS).