Department for Work and Pensions data shows there were over 4,000 people aged 16-24 who were unemployed, looking for work and on Universal Credit in Cornwall & Isles of Scilly in August. Our young people are usually amongst the worst hit by financial crises, and unemployment can have longstanding implications for their future, so we encourage all types of Cornish businesses to get involved.
The job placements should support the participants to develop the skills and experience they need to find work after completing the scheme.
Up to £6,500 of funding is available to pay for 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage for 25 hours a week, plus associated employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions. There is also £1,500 per job placement available to employers for setup costs, support and training.
Funding is available following a successful employer application process. Applications must be for a minimum of 30 job placements. If you are unable to offer this many job placements, you can partner with other organisations or apply via a Gateway organisation to reach the minimum number.
Kickstart is not an apprenticeship, but participants may move on to an apprenticeship at any time during, or after their job placement. For further information on Apprenticeships visit the website or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Kickstart is part of the government’s Plan for Jobs and aims to create hundreds and thousands of new, fully funded jobs across England, Scotland and Wales. The first placements are likely to be available from November.
How Employers can get involved
Funding is available following a successful application process. Any organisation, regardless of size, can apply for funding. Each application should also include how you will help the participants to develop their skills and experience whilst on their placement.
- Advise on your business eligibility and placement suitability
- Inform and support you to gather information about the job placements you’d like to offer
- Undertake the administration and share your placement information with DWP on your behalf
- Offer other services e.g. employability support to young people in the job placement
The following selection of organisations have registered as Gateway organisations in Cornwall. Contact them direct for more information and to support your application to provide one or more placements.
Kickstart Gateway organisations include:
- Cornwall Council Email email@example.com
- Federation of Small Businesses
- Real Ideas CIC: Call 0330 223 4158 or email Kerry.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cornwall Marine Network (all sectors) . Email or call email@example.com 01326 211383/07501 594221
- Integer Training: Call: 01288 356263 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, please see the Government’s list of approved Gateways organisations for the most up to date list.
Download the Employer Guide below
Download the Kickstart "local" flyer below
If you need any local help with the Kickstart Scheme process, email us email@example.com
Links to current Gov.uk guidance: