Aerohub at Cornwall Airport Newquay
The Aerohub Enterprise Zone offers two investment-ready development sites dedicated to cutting-edge aerospace and space businesses.
Covering both Cornwall Airport Newquay and Goonhilly Earth Station, both sites have significant development land and access to development support. There is no better offer in the South West of the UK for space and aerospace business.
We led a successful bid to create the Enterprise Zone, encouraging businesses within the aerospace and space industry to locate and spawn opportunities for other supporting businesses. Only LEP's on behalf of their partners, were able to bid for an Enterprise Zone. As a business-led partnership with a goal of driving sustainable economic growth across local economic areas, LEP’s are ideally placed to drive Enterprise Zones forward.
Successful zones have the opportunity to attract investment, developments and jobs through a combination of business rate discounts worth up to £275,000 over five years, simplified planning procedures that can accelerate development timeframes and superfast broadband links.
Aerohub at Cornwall Airport Newquay
Cornwall Airport Newquay is the newest and fastest growing airport in the UK. With one of the longest runways in the UK, uncongested and unrestricted airspace and state-of-the-art infrastructure, Cornwall Airport Newquay is the best location for aerospace business. The airport is exceptionally well placed for the following activities:
- Rotary Centre of Excellence: Europe’s finest training environment for flight andsearch and rescue operations. Currently home to Leonardo, Bristow SAR, and British International Helicopters.
- Unmanned Aerial Systems: The Zone, in partnership with West Wales Airport, forms The National Aeronautical Centre; a world-unique centre of excellence where the testing, demonstration, and training facilities for Unmanned Aerial Systems can be carried out in a safe environment.
- Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul: With large areas of hardstanding and design and build packages for bespoke hangars available now, the site is perfect for growing MRO businesses.
- Spaceport: Potential UK Spaceport site for commercial spaceplane operations.
- Aerohub Business Park: Situated adjacent to the airfield at Cornwall Airport Newquay, the Aerohub Business Park is open to businesses from all sectors. Consisting of 53.5 acres, with a variety of fully-serviced plots, Phase 1 plots are available now. View the plots available and fact sheet here.
Aerohub at Goonhilly Earth Station
The pioneering Goonhilly Earth Station site sits on 64 hectares of development land, with excellent existing infrastructure and extensive opportunities for businesses, including:
Satellite Communications: Wide selection of existing antennas available, providing deep space communication capabilities with an operational command and control centre.
Space Science Centre: With opportunities for data centre services, training, and visitor outreach, the site aims to connect the UK to space.
Moon Mission: Goonhilly and SSTL are teaming up with ESA to create the world's first commercial deep space mission. They will carry customer payloads in the form of cube-sats into lunar orbit and provide the relay link back to Earth via Goonhilly. A call for payloads is now open.
Goonhilly Digital Services
Goonhilly, is fast becoming a leading technology hub for the provision of end to end digital services to the region’s public and private sector; the hub’s unique upstream and downstream capabilities are also making Goonhilly an increasingly attractive and sustainable business partner for organisations on a wider national and international scale.
A full suite of digital services are now available including; Managed Cloud, Private Cloud, Hosting and Colocation on top of fast low latency connectivity to JANET (Joint Academic NETwork).
In collaboration with Jisc Commercial, representatives from both the public and private sector were invited to a series of workshops on 16 and 17 November with regional professionals representatives to help understand more and shape The Alternative Communications Network at Goonhilly Earth Station, part of the Aerohub & Enterprise Zone in partnership with CIoS LEP
As an outcome of those workshop a FAQ document was produced. You can download here.
Last updated: November 2016