The aim of an Apprenticeship is to provide an employed job for anyone aged 16 and over who wants to be trained and developed in a specific role in a business (applies to all business sizes). Apprentices gain relevant experience and work towards the completion of their Apprenticeship and the desired qualification.
The levels of an Apprenticeship can range from Intermediate (Level 2, equivalent to GCSE) to Advanced, Higher & Degree Levels 3-7 (equivalent to up to foundation degree and above). The duration of an Apprenticeship must be at least 12 months and can last for up to 5 years depending on the level/progression of the Apprentice.
To help a business through the journey of the apprenticeship, a training provider, will work with the business and apprentice to ensure they both the needs of the employer and apprentice are met.
Smaller employers may benefit from using an apprenticeship training agency, allowing them to ‘host’ an apprentice without the responsibility for employing them. In Cornwall & Isles of Scilly, the Cornwall Apprenticeship Agency can help you to find and employ an Apprentice on your behalf; taking on the management of their payroll, helping reduce administration.
For more information on hiring an apprentice, please click here.
In spring 2017, Government introduced some changes to Apprenticeship funding to help more businesses benefit from recruiting Apprentices.
- A new Apprenticeship levy introduced to encourage more businesses to
- All employers in all sectors with an annual pay bill more than £3
million each year are required to pay the levy at a rate of 0.5% of their pay
- The Levy is automatically deducted through PAYE and topped up by 10% by
Government. Employers can manage their Levy
in apprenticeship Service account (this video explains how employers can set up an account)
- The Levy fund can be used by the employer to pay for Apprenticeship
training and assessment for new Apprentices or existing staff development.
- Levy employers may now give 10% of the annual value of their levy
account to other employers e.g. employers in their supply chain. Follow this link and video for further information on transferring Levy
- For employers who are not required to pay the levy, the Government will
contribute 90% of the cost of training with employers paying the remaining 10%.
- The Government has set funding bands for Apprenticeships and encourages employers and training providers
to negotiate on price below the maximum.
- The Government provides a £1,000 incentive payment for employers taking
on a 16-18 year old on an Apprenticeship as well as some 19-24 year olds.
Download our brief guide to the Apprenticeship levy.
- Contact the Cornwall & Isles of Scilly Growth Hub for impartial,
free information and advice. Call 01209
708600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit their website
- Visit the Cornwall Apprenticeships
- Alternatively, contact the National Apprentice Service on 0800 015 0600,
use their online enquiry form or
visit their website
- Visit Find Apprenticeship Training if
you’re ready to find a training provider who can deliver the training you need
for an Apprenticeship vacancy.
- Visit the Cornwall Apprenticeships
- The Get in Go far website
provides more information on Apprenticeships and Apprenticeship vacancies.
- The National Careers Service
provides free careers information, advice and guidance. Call 0800 100 900 to speak to an Adviser or webchat
- Apprenticeship funding from
May 2017: How apprenticeship funding
for employers will work, including details of funding bands and the
- Apprenticeship technical
funding guide for starts from May 2017: Sets out the technical details of the funding
system used to fund apprenticeship frameworks and standards starting on or
after 1 May 2017.
- Apprenticeship funding and performance
management rules 2017 to 2018: The draft rules that will apply to all apprenticeship provision funded
by the SFA following the introduction of the apprenticeship levy.
- Apprenticeship funding: Details of how employers will be affected by
the apprenticeship funding system introduced from May 2017.
- A revised apprenticeship
funding calculator: to
help employers understand what levy they will pay and how they could use the
new digital service to plan and fund training.
- SFA Digital blog: to help people keep up to date with the
development of the Digital Apprenticeship Service (DAS).
- Find apprenticeship training
- Estimate my apprenticeship
- Apprenticeship funding bands
For any additional information or support, please contact our Employment and Apprenticeship Officer Cathie Kessell