The Great South West is led by a
powerful alliance of business leaders, LEPs,
universities, colleges and local government.
- When: We aim to establish a task force and our delivery vehicle as soon as possible. We can then build our capacity as opportunities arise in the future.
- Who: Three Local Enterprise Partnerships, seven county and unitary authorities, six universities and major businesses - all working together.
- What: Building on our outstanding natural capital and creative businesses, we have a shared desire to create a clean, digital economy and tackle climate change.
- Why: Developing forward-looking initiatives which need to be done at scale, will transcend boundaries and deliver our shared objectives.
We are asking the Government for:
- Formal recognition of the Great South West as a growth alliance aimed at re-balancing the UK economy, with an identified Minister.
- £2 million over three years to build a business case for investment across a range of projects.
- A Great South West Tourism Zone to help the industry become more productive, sustainable and adaptable.
- An agreement to create a Rural Productivity Deal, addressing the specific needs of the rural economy.
The Great South West partners published a local growth prospectus on 13 January 2020 that aims to deliver £45 billion of economic benefit and 190,000 new jobs over the next 15 years. The prospectus can be downloaded below.